Tuesday 13 April 2010


Here is my 500 word rational describing your design decisions such as screen layout, user interaction and Action script used. Provide appropriate references to support your decisions and contextualise your practise.

After much research to design an entertainment interactive quiz on a topic of my own choice, I decided to create and design a pub quiz and include my own pixilation videos, pictures and questions.

My basic design was influenced by my regular visits to a pub called the horse and groom in my home Town Chelmsford where I play on a game machine, which has various games. I always seem to want to play a game called Beat the Landlord, which has many different questions and has a few animations. So I thought I would create my own version with some different ideas taken from other games I have played on this machine.

While the game Beat the Landlord has given me great inspiration in the design of my quiz I have also given it my own unique style while still calling it Beat the Landlord. I have designed a house, which represents the Pub with wings on it in three different designs.

If you get a question right a pixilation appears where a beer is being filled up and everyone cheers and the sound of beer pouring takes place. If you get a question wrong a pixilation appears where a beer is emptied and everyone boos. I have made an animation of the Pub flying to make it seem more interesting, fun and different which I thought was quite cool.

I have designed a house with wings on it to make it seems as if it is flying, I have drawn three different designs, the house is the same but in one design the wings are drawn high, then there is another design where the wings are drawn in the middle and finally a last design where the wings are drawn down. Therefore when I made it into a gift, the different pictures on a timeline will look as if the house is flying. The idea was to make the quiz more interesting and I wanted to show the house flying like an angel.

With regard to the questions and answers at first I was really unsure on what to base my quiz on, as I am not a big fan of quizzes. I find them quite boring but I thought I should pop down to the Horse and Groom and see which games interest me most and Beat the Landlord was one of them which has many general knowledge questions about the world.

I have enjoyed making this quiz, but I find flash very hard to understand so it has been quite a big task, for me when I cannot understand the software I find it very hard to commit to it and work with it on a practical basis. However I have been working on flash every other day for hours to finalize the design and to make it look the way I want to show it. I hope it shows all the hard work I have put in to it to make it look the way it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment